Table of Contents
- Changes from the previous version
- Resource Management
- Dungeons & Trials Setup
- Update Log
Welcome to the Templar Tank Build PvE “Paladin” for Elder Scrolls Online. Make sure to bookmark the link as I will keep updating the build for each new Update of ESO. The Templar Tank Build PvE “Paladin” is optimized for Dungeons & Trials.
Other Tank Guides:
This particular setup that we are using is focusing on shields and healing. We can get up to a 17’000 shield with the Radiant Ward, if there are a lot of enemies around us. In addition, we are also running Brands of Imperium to assist our group members with additional shielding to mitigate more incoming damage. We also have the possibilities to cleanse most debuffs from us with Extended Ritual and provide our allies with a nice synergy that also allows them to cleanse negative effects.
Here is an example of what our shields can look like if both Brands of the Imperium and Radiant Ward proc.
- Dungeon & Trials Build
- Tank/Support Build
- Heavy Armor
- Great Sustain
- Easy Survivability
- Great Self Healing
- Insane Shielding
Changes to the previous Version
Update 28 Markarth DLC brings the following changes to the build:
Changed the Monster Set from Thurvokun to Earthgore. Thurvokun applies Minor Maim which used to reduce damage by 15%, but Minor Maim got nerfed down to 5% which is too little to really matter. Therefore other Monsters Sets will be more beneficial.
- Increased to 5948, up from 5280.
- Major Breach now affects both Physical and Spell Resistance equally.
Restoring Focus increases our resistances and returns Stamina every second. Always keep this one active, it is your most important damage mitigation and resource management skill.
Repentance allows us to drain corpses if we need resources. It boosts our Stamina by 3000 per corpse and also heals us for 3500 per corpse.
Spell Symmetry returns Magicka, you can use this as much as you want, but be careful that your Healer is healing you. Because you loose Health while using this.
Energy Orb is a skill that Healers use to throw into the group. You can use the synergy this skill provides to regain around 4000 resources. Our max Stamina is a bit higher than our Max Magicka, that is because you will get resources depending on your higher max Stamina or Magicka. And because we are a tank, Stamina is definitely more important.
Heavy Attacks restore a big amount of stamina, if you hit an off-balanced enemy it gives twice the amount back. You don’t need to permablock, try to find time to do Heavy Attacks in your rotation.
Potions are also a key to manage your resources well, I recommend using Tri-Stat potions to regain all three resources at the same time. Further below you will learn how to craft the right potions.
- Restoring Focus
- Spell Symmetry
- Heavy Attacks
- Orbs (Undaunted skill-line)
Dungeon & Trial Setup
5x Ebon Armory, 5x Brands of Imperium, 2x Thurvokun on a Nord with Bewitched Sugar Skulls food.
- Unbuffed: Out of combat
- Buffed: Raid Target Dummy buffs, Restoring Focus, Tri-stat potion were active.
Lightning vs Frost Staff: You can use both options, a frost staff is better if you want to go the safe route and get all the block mitigation on the backbar as well. The Lightning Staff is used in combination with Elemental Blockade to apply Off-Balance to the enemy, that way you can support your group and increase the overall damage output.
- Set allocation: It does not matter what gear sets you wear where, as long as you use those two combos, you should be fine.
|Chest||Brands of Imperium||Heavy||Reinforced||Tri Stat Enchantment|
|Belt||Ebon Armory||Heavy||Sturdy||Health Enchantment|
|Shoes||Ebon Armory||Heavy||Sturdy||Health Enchantment|
|Pants||Brands of Imperium||Heavy||Infused||Tri Stat Enchantment|
|Hands||Brands of Imperium||Heavy||Sturdy||Health Enchantment|
|Head||Earthgore||Light||Infused||Tri Stat Enchantment|
|Necklace||Ebon Armory||Jewelry||Infused||Reduce Prismatic Cost Enchant (Idenko Glyph)|
|Ring||Ebon Armory||Jewelry||Infused||Reduce Prismatic Cost Enchant (Idenko Glyph)|
|Ring||Ebon Armory||Jewelry||Infused||Bracing Enchantment|
|Weapon 1 S&B||Brands of Imperium||1H-Weap||Decisive||Weakening Enchantment|
|Weapon 1 S&B||Brands of Imperium||Shield||Sturdy||Tri-Stat Enchantment|
|Weapon 2 Destro||Brands of Imperium||Lightning Staff||Infused||Crusher Enchantment|
Beginner Gear Setup
This beginner setup is here for people that do not have access to the other setup now. You can ask a friend to craft Fortified Brass and Torug’s Pact for you. You could also use Plague Doctor instead of Torug’s Pact as it is very cheap available in the Guild Stores.
|Chest||Fortified Brass||Heavy||Reinforced||Stamina Enchantment|
|Belt||Fortified Brass||Light||Sturdy||Health Enchantment|
|Shoes||Fortified Brass||Medium||Sturdy||Health Enchantment|
|Pants||Torug’s Pact||Heavy||Infused||Stamina Enchantment|
|Hands||Torug’s Pact||Heavy||Sturdy||Health Enchantment|
|Head||Night’s Silence||Heavy||Infused||Stamina Enchantment|
|Shoulder||Night’s Silence||Heavy||Sturdy||Health Enchantment|
|Necklace||Torug’s Pact||Jewelry||Infused||Reduce Prismatic Cost Enchant (Idenko Glyph)|
|Ring||Torug’s Pact||Jewelry||Infused||Reduce Prismatic Cost Enchant (Idenko Glyph)|
|Ring||Torug’s Pact||Jewelry||Infused||Bracing Enchantment|
|Weapon 1 S&B||Fortified Brass||1H-Weap||Decisive||Weakening Enchantment|
|Weapon 1 S&B||Fortified Brass||Shield||Sturdy||Stamina Enchantment|
|Weapon 2 Destro||Fortified Brass||Lightning Staff||Infused||Crusher Enchantment|
Where can I get the gear?
Ebon Armory: Crypts of Hearts
Brands of Imperium: White Gold Tower
Earthgore: vBloodroot Forge
Roar of Alkosh: Maw of Lorkhaj
Torug’s Pact: Craftable
Bloodspawn: vSpindleclutch 2
Swarm Mother: vSpindleclutch 1
Sentinel of Rkugamz: vDarkshade Cavern 1
Fortified Brass: Craftable
Torug’s Pact: Craftable
Night’s Silence: Craftable
Plague Doctor: Deshaan, Guildstore
Make sure to adjust your skills to your needs, this setup is not maced into stone, make sure to adjust skills depending on the situation of a fight.
|S&B Mainbar||Destro Staff bar|
|Slot 1: Radiant Ward||Slot 1: Extended Ritual|
|Slot 2: Heroic Slash||Slot 2: Repentance|
|Slot 3: Pierce Armor||Slot 3: Elemental Blockade|
|Slot 4: Ritual of Rebirth||Slot 4: Inner Rage|
|Slot 5: Spell Symmetry||Slot 5: Restoring Focus|
|Ultimate: Remembrance||Ultimate: Aggressive Warhorn|
- Radiant Ward: With a base Health of 37k the Radiant Ward will give us a 11k shield. Now this can go up to 16’000 depending on how many enemies are around you, so its a very powerful defensive ability that you can use to absorb hard hitting attacks without loosing health.
- Heroic Slash: Debuffs the enemy with a 5% damage reduction debuff and also gives you Minor Heroism, increasing your Ultimate generation.
- Pierce Armor: Your main taunt, also debuffs the enemy with Major Fracture and Major Breach, reducing Spell and Physical Resistance by 5948.
- Ritual of Rebirth: Huge burst heal, heals the whole group. Very costly, so keep track of your Magicka and only use it in tough situations.
- Spell Symmetry: If you use Spell Symmetry you restore 3000 Magicka and your next magicka ability that you use gets a reduced cost of 25% this lasts 5 seconds.
IMPORTANT: Be aware that when you use the skill, that all shields and healing will be cut in half for the next 4 seconds.
- Aggressive Warhorn: Your main Ultimate, to buff the group with 10% more max resources and crit damage boost.
- Extended Ritual: Cleanses up to 5 debuffs on you and also has a small heal over time. Also places a synergy on the ground for your allies.
- Repentance: Can absorb dead bodies and will give you a ton of resources back. Plus it is free cast.
- Elemental Blockade: The Lightning Blockade needs to be on the ground all the time, it is here to keep our crusher enchantment up a 100%. The crusher enchantment will even proc while you are on the frontbar, you just have to make sure to keep the blockade up.
- Inner Rage: This is your ranged taunt, in case you can not get to a mob fast enough.
- Restoring Focus: Make sure to keep this ability active all the time. It gives you Major Resolve, increasing both Armor and Spell Resistance by 5948, plus an extra 8% healing and damage mitigation.
- Remembrance: If you get into a tricky situation, you can use the Remembrance Ultimate which heals you and your team for a lot and also applies Major Protection to you.
- Flex Spot: Extended Ritual can be swapped out with any skill you want.
Other optional Skills:
- Silver Leash: This morph now chains enemies towards you. Be careful when you use it, because it costs Stamina.
- Shield Discipline (Ultimate): You can also use this Ultimate instead of the Remembrance Ultimate.
If you need optimized defensive Champion Points for a specific trial I recommend checking out my Maximize Damage Mitigation in Trials Article.
- Calculator: In case you need help distributing your Champion Points, make sure to check out the Champion Points Calculator!
Champion Points 
40 Thaumaturge, 34 Precise Strikes, 43 Mighty
2 Physical Weapons Expert, 31 Master-at-Arms
75 Blessed, 44 Elfborn, 1 Spell Erosion
81 Shadow Ward, 61 Tumbling
56 Warlord, 21 Bashing Focus, 8 Sprinter
18 Bastion, 12 Heavy Armor Focus
56 Hardy, 56 Elemental Defender, 56 Thick Skinned
Champion Points 
26 Precise Strikes, 1 Piercing
100 Shadow Ward, 50 Tumbling
56 Hardy, 49 Elemental Defender, 23 Thick Skinned
Champion Points 
44 Shadow Ward
27 Hardy, 27 Elemental Defender, 2 Thick Skinned
Important Info for Templar Tank Build PvE
Longfin pasty with Melon Sauce
(Max Health+Max Stamina+Max Magicka)
Bewitched Sugar Skulls
This is a slightly more advanced version than Longfin pasty with Melon sauce that has a bit higher stats and also includes health recovery, it costs more though.
The Lord is a good Mundus Stone to increase maximum Health. However, you can also use other available Mundus Stones if you don’t need the extra Health.
The Lord (Max Health)
You can find more about racial passives in the ESO Race Overview page.
For hard content I recommend using crafted or crown store Tri-Stat potions.
(Health, Stamina, Magicka)
(Bugloss, Columbine, Mountain Flower)
- Aedric Spear: Piercing Spear, Spear Wall, Burning Light, Balanced Warrior
- Dawn’s Wrath: Enduring Rays, Prism, Illuminate, Restoring Spirit
- Restoring Light: Mending, Sacred Ground, Master Ritualist, Light Weaver
- One Hand and Shield: Fortress, Sword and Board, Deadly Bash, Deflect Bolts, Battlefield Mobility
- Destruction Staff: Tri Focus, Penetrating Magic, Elemental Force, Ancient Knowledge, Destruction Expert
- Heavy Armor: Resolve, Constitution, Juggernaut, Revitalize, Rapid Mending
- Medium Armor: Dexterity, Wind Walker, Athletics
- Light Armor: Grace, Evocation, Spell Warding
- Mages Guild: Mage Adept, Everlasting Magic, Magicka Controller
- Fighters Guild: Banish the Wicked
- Undaunted: Undaunted Command, Undaunted Mettle
- Psijic Order: Clairvoyance, Spell Orb, Concentrated Barrier, Deliberation
- Racial: All
- Alchemy: Medicinal Use
You have to make sure to have a bit more Stamina than Magicka. Because of the Synergies you pick up give you back whatever stat is higher. You can change this to your liking, if you do not need that much health, get more stamina.
10 Magicka, 44 Health, 10 Stamina
11.08.2019 Updated the Build for the SCALEBREAKER DLC, Elsweyr Chapter, Templar Tank Build PvE.
20.10.2019 Updated the Build for the DRAGONHOLD DLC, Elsweyr Chapter.
20.02.2020 Updated the Build for the HARROWSTORM DLC, Greymoor Chapter.
08.05.2020 Updated the Build for the GREYMOOR CHAPTER.
20.08.2020 Updated the Build for the STONETHORN DLC, Greymoor Chapter.
29.10.2020 Updated the Build for the MARKARTH DLC, Greymoor Chapter.
Tags: Health Templar Tank Build, Templar Tank Build, Templar Tank Build PvE.