Welcome to the Status Effects ESO & Mechanics Guide for Elder Scrolls Online! In this guide we will take a look at Elemental, Disabling, Soft CC, Counter and Other Effects that function as buffs and debuff mechanics in both PvE and PvP. Those effects and mechanics offer very strong buffs and debuffs and can be used to your advantage in combat.
Elemental Status Effects
Elemental status Effects or also known as secondary effects refer effects that are triggered from combat mechanics. Every elemental effect can trigger those elemental status effects.
- Chilled – Deals direct damage and applies Minor Maim for 4 seconds, reducing targets damage done by 5%.
- Concussion – Deals direct damage and applies Minor Vulnerability for 4 seconds, increasing damage taken by 5%. Animation: electric sparkles. Chance to proc from any lightning damage. Does not proc off Staff Light and Heavy attacks. However, it can proc from the splash damage of Shock Heavy Attacks.
- Burning – Flame damage over time for 4 seconds and ticks every 2 seconds. Chance to proc from any flame damage.
- Poisoned – Poison damage over time for 6 seconds. Chance to proc from any poison damage.
- Disease – Applies Minor Defile debuff (Yes it is supposed to be Minor) for couple of seconds that reduces healing taken by 15%. Animation: green cloud and health bar has inward arrowheads. Chance to proc from any disease damage (meat bag siege catapults, werewolf infectious claws and foul weapon enchants)
The way status effects are applied was detailed in the 2.1 patch notes:
Standardized the chance an ability has to apply a secondary effect, such as burning, chilled, or concussed. These chances are:
- Weapon enchants 20%
- Standard ability 10%
- Area of effect abilities 5%
- Damage over time abilities 3%
- Area of effect damage over time abilities 1%
Elemental status effect with a destro staff and Elemental Force passive apply the secondary effect at double the chance listed above. You can also increase the chance to apply the status effects with the charged trait, that increases the chance by about 86%.
- Chilled, Concussion, Burning can be procced against shielded enemies since U23
- Certain races are also immune to status effects (usually states in the racial passives).
Disabling Effects [Loss of control]
- Knocked Down: Totally disabled, knocked to the ground and cannot move or perform actions.
- Stunned: Unable to move, attack, or perform any actions, frail to further cc during stun.
- Off balance & Heavy Attacks:
- Using a Heavy Attack against an Off Balance enemy will deal 70% more damage.
- Using a Heavy Attack against an Off Balance enemy will only consume the Off Balance debuff if the enemy is successfully stunned.
- Using a Heavy Attack against an Off Balance boss enemy will not consume the Off Balance effect, as bosses are immune to crowd control effects.
- You can use Power Lash on an enemy until the Off Balance effect expires or is consumed.
- Using a Heavy Attack against an Off Balance enemy player character will stun them, in the same way that it stuns monsters.
- You can use Power Lash to stun enemy Players.
- Using a fully-charged Heavy Attack against an Off Balance enemy will restore double the amount of resources.
- Boss enemies can only be set Off Balance for 7 seconds with a 22 seconds cooldown. After the first Off Balance debuff ends on a boss enemy, they will be immune to subsequent Off Balance debuffs until this immunity duration is over.
- Disoriented: Long but fragile disable (cannot perform action). Unlike stun, desorient will break from any damage taken. Disorient goes through block.
- Silenced: Unable to cast spells, can move and use physical attacks.
- Feared: Targets will cower in terror, unable to move while feared. (If feared by an NPC, you will not cower in terror, but rather run away in terror)
- Pull: Pulled to the caster, while in air unable to perform any actions. Counts as hard cc as it triggers immunity on target in pvp.
- Knockback: Pushed away from caster for 5 meters. Note: Spells can have Knockback in conjunction with other status effects like a knock down/stun/disorient effect.
Soft CC [Hinders Movement]
- Immobile: Rooted, but can perform actions.
- Snared: Slowed movement speed, but can perform attacks or other actions.
- Taunted: Forced to attack you (PvE only) for 15 sec.
- Blind: Raised chance to miss. Meridia Set for example makes you miss 100% when the blind effect is applied.
- Bleed: Physical damage over time effect. This functions the same as physical damage, but is classified as a “Bleed”.
- Immovability: “Immunity to knockback and disabling effects”, does not affect soft cc. Animation effect: swirling wind around the character). Gained when hard CC ends (naturally or when broken/reflected), from activating Immovable (heavy armour skill) or from potions.
- Magicka /Stamina AoE: Magicka AoE can not be dodged while Stamina AoE can be dodged.
- Unblockable: Some abilities can not be blocked. For example Petrify (you also get stunned), Fear, Werewolf Roar, Encase, Talons etc.
Counter Status Effects
- Break Free: costs stamina; removes stun, disorient, knockdown, also get 7 seconds Immovability.
- Dodge: costs stamina, breaks soft CC like immobilize. Using it repeatedly within 3 seconds will increase the cost further.
- Cleanse/Purge/Purify: Removes negative effects.
- Block: negates any attempt to CC, even if you take partial damage from the attack itself. Except Fear, Werewolf Roar, Petrify.
- Reflect: negates attempt to CC and gives the effect to its caster instead. Channeled skills or AoE can not be reflected.
- Invisibility: avoid attack completely if timed correctly, but does not prevent aoe effects from hitting.
- Snare Break: Remove snare. Forward Momentum for example.