Wolfhunter DLC, Summerset Chapter
Table of Contents
- Changes from the previous version
- Resource Management
- Dungeons & Trials Setup
- Update Log
Welcome to the Templar Tank Build PvE “Paladin” for Elder Scrolls Online. Make sure to bookmark the link as I will keep updating the build for each new Update of ESO. The Templar Tank Build PvE “Paladin” is optimized for Dungeons & Trials. Keep in mind there is a huge variety of different tank builds out there that synergize well depending on your group setup. Remember, each Dungeon needs some small adjustments to the build. So if you for example feel that you need more health, then go for it!
This particular setup that we are using is focusing on shields and healing. We can get up to a 16’000 shield with the Radiant Ward, if there are a lot of enemies around us. In addition, we are also running Brands of the Imperium to assist our group members with additional shielding to mitigate more incoming damage. We also have the possibilities to cleanse most debuffs from us with Extended Ritual and provide our allies with a nice synergy that also allows them to cleanse negative effects. Ritual Rebirth is a healing ability that heals your group in a 10 meter radius, in case you need some more burst heals, keep in mind tho, it is very expensive to use. We also make use of the new Psijic Order Skill-line in this build, as you will see below. With this setup, we can reach a very high amount of damage mitigation through buffs and debuffs. Our Restoring Rune gives us 5280 Physical and Spell Resistance and 8% damage mitigation, while we are channeling Deep Thoughts we get another 30% damage mitigation, if we have Empowering Sweep we can get another 20%+ damage mitigation. In addition to that, Thurvokun applies Minor Maim on enemies, reducing their damage by 15%. All those modifiers also apply to our big shields!
- Dungeon & Trials Build
- Tank/Support Build
- Heavy Armor
- Great sustain
- Easy survivability
- Great self healing
- Insane shielding
The Video is from the Summerset Chapter, so there might be small changes in this version of the build, remember that.
Changes from the previous version
Reminder: The Build video is from the Summerset Chapter patch. Small changes have been made in the Wolfhunter DLC update, as you can see here in the written guide.
- Updated Champion Points, optimized passive sections, Crusher enchant is now on frontbar, weakening enchant on backbar.
Templar can support you with Spears to give you about 4000 Stamina back, or any other healer that can use Orbs that have the same effect. that is also the reason why we have more Stamina than Magicka. The Spear and Orbs restores your higher resource pool. So our Stamina is about 1-2k higher than our Magicka pool, which means we will always get Stamina back from the Spears or the Orbs! Also, you do not always need to perma-block, so when you have time, do some heavy attacks to restore some resources! Most bosses do not require to perma-block, thus you have enough time to actually recover. Repentance is another big thing, on trash fights you will basically always have enough resources if you use this and during boss fights sometimes there are adds that you can use Repentance on. If you still have troubles with sustain, you could also utilize Sentinel of Rkugamz, if you keep Extended Ritual on the ground it basically activates on cooldown and makes your stamina sustain a lot easier.
- Deep Thoughts (Psijic)
- Heavy Attacks
- Spears (Templar ability)
- Orbs (Undaunted skill)
- Sentinel of Rkugamz
- Argonian passive
Now that we have access to Psijic Order abilities, we are using “Deep Thoughts” that restore a huge amount of Magicka and Stamina per second. On top of that it also heals us every second. While we are channeling Psijic order abilities, we also gain 30% damage mitigation through the Deliberation passive that gives us Major Protection. Activate Radiant Ward before using Deep Thoughts, so you have a shield that the enemy needs to get through before they can touch your health. The Major Protection also reduces the incoming damage on your Shield.
Infused Jewelry with Potion Cooldown
This is by far the best way to sustain, but it comes at a price. Your potions will have a 21 second cooldown, therefore you will drink twice as much potions as normal, which means you need a lot of gold to sustain your “potion addiction”. With this tactic, you can for example also use two different potions at the same time, which means you can have more different effects on you!
This is especially powerful on an Argonian, because of their “Resourceful” passive, like you can see in the picture below. You get resources more often because you use more potions and because the Resourceful passive will activate more often.
I decided to not directly implement it into the build but leave it as an option, because it is very expensive to choke potions every 21 seconds, especially if we are talking about tri-stat potions.
Dungeon & Trial Setup
Remember that there is a ton of good Tank sets to choose from. Here are a few good sets to list them up:
- Ebon Armory
- Roar of Alkosh
- Torug's Pact
- Plague Doctor
- Powerful Assault
- Akaviri Dragonguard
- Perfect Aegis of Galenwe
- Set allocation: It does not matter what gear sets you wear where, as long as you use those two combos, you should be fine.
- Monster Sets: You can also use Mighty Chudan, Pirate Skeleton, Bloodspawn etc.
- Swarm Mother: This set is very good for Dungeons, it automatically pulls almost all type of enemies to you without any cooldown.
- Thurvokun: We use this set to apply Minor Maim to most enemies, therefore they will deal 15% less damage to you and the group.
|Chest||Brands of Imperium||Heavy||Reinforced||Tri Stat Enchantment|
|Belt||Ebon Armory||Heavy||Sturdy||Health Enchantment|
|Shoes||Ebon Armory||Heavy||Sturdy||Health Enchantment|
|Pants||Brands of Imperium||Heavy||Infused||Tri Stat Enchantment|
|Hands||Brands of Imperium||Heavy||Sturdy||Health Enchantment|
|Head||Thurvokun||Light||Infused||Tri Stat Enchantment|
|Necklace||Ebon Armory||Jewelry||Triune||Reduced Spell Cost|
|Ring||Ebon Armory||Jewelry||Triune||Block Cost Reduction|
|Ring||Ebon Armory||Jewelry||Triune||Block Cost Reduction|
|Weapon 1 S&B||Brands of Imperium||1H-Weap||Infused||Crusher Enchantment|
|Weapon 1 S&B||Brands of Imperium||Shield||Infused||Tri-Stat Enchantment|
|Weapon 2 S&B||Brands of Imperium||1H-Weap||Infused||Weakening Enchantment|
|Weapon 2 S&B||Brands of Imperium||Shield||Infused||Tri-Stat Enchantment|
Beginner Gear Setup
This beginner setup is here for people that do not have access to the other setup now. You can ask a friend to craft Fortified Brass and Torug’s Pact for you. You could also use Plague Doctor instead of Torug’s Pact as it is very cheap available in the Guild Stores.
|Chest||Fortified Brass||Heavy||Reinforced||Stamina Enchantment|
|Belt||Fortified Brass||Light||Sturdy||Health Enchantment|
|Shoes||Fortified Brass||Medium||Sturdy||Health Enchantment|
|Pants||Torug's Pact||Heavy||Infused||Stamina Enchantment|
|Hands||Torug's Pact||Heavy||Sturdy||Health Enchantment|
|Head||Night's Silence||Heavy||Infused||Stamina Enchantment|
|Shoulder||Night's Silence||Heavy||Sturdy||Health Enchantment|
|Necklace||Torug's Pact||Jewelry||Healthy||Block Cost Reduction|
|Ring||Torug's Pact||Jewelry||Healthy||Block Cost Reduction|
|Ring||Torug's Pact||Jewelry||Healthy||Block Cost Reduction|
|Weapon 1 S&B||Fortified Brass||1H-Weap||Infused||Crusher Enchantment|
|Weapon 1 S&B||Fortified Brass||Shield||Infused||Stamina Enchantment|
|Weapon 2 S&B||Fortified Brass||1H-Weap||Infused||Weakening Enchantment|
|Weapon 2 S&B||Fortified Brass||Shield||Infused||Stamina Enchantment|
Where can I get the gear?
Ebon Armory: Crypts of Hearts
Brands of Imperium: White Gold Tower
Thurvokun: Fang Lair
Roar of Alkosh: Maw of Lorkhaj
Torug's Pact: Craftable
Swarm Mother: Spindleclutch 1
Sentinel of Rkugamz: Darkshade Cavern 1
Fortified Brass: Craftable
Torug's Pact: Craftable
Night's Silence: Craftable
Plague Doctor: Deshaan, Guildstore
Crusher and Weakening Enchantment
Torug’s Pact and Infused trait combination is another possible choice that you can use. The Weakening and Crusher Enchantment have a base cooldown of 10 seconds. With Infused alone, so without Torug’s you go down to 5 seconds. With Torug’s and Infused you go down to 3.5 seconds. Which is not really needed but you will still get the extra stats for enchantments, which is the main reason we are using it. If you do think its overkill then go for Alkosh for example. Woeler has some cool graphs showing Torugs vs Alkosh, make sure to go check them out for more clarification.
Make sure to adjust your skills to your needs, this setup is not maced into stone, make sure to adjust skills depending on the situation of a fight.
- Radiant Ward: With a base Health of 37k the Radiant Ward will be 11k big. Now this can go up to 16’000 depending on how many enemies are around you, so its a very powerful defensive ability that you can use to absorb hard hitting attacks without loosing health.
- Repentance: Can absorb dead bodies and will give you a ton of resources back. Plus it is free cast.
- Pierce Armor: Your main taunt, also debuffs the enemy with Major Fracture and Major Breach, reducing Spell and Physical Resistance by 5280.
- Ritual of Rebirth: Huge burstheal, heals the whole group. Very costly, so keep track of your Magicka and only use it in tough situations.
- Deep Thoughts: Channeled ability that returns a lot of Health, Stamina and Magicka. You can not block while you are channeling this skill. Major Protection is applied to you while this is active, reducing your incoming damage by 30%.
- Aggressive Warhorn: Your main Ultimate, to buff the group with 10% more max resources and crit damage boost.
- Extended Ritual: Cleanses up to 5 debuffs on you and also has a small heal over time. Also places a synergy on the ground for your allies.
- Heroic Slash: Debuffs the enemy with a 15% damage reduction debuff and also gives you Minor Heroism, increasing your Ultimate generation.
- Silver Leash: This morph now chains enemies towards you. Be careful when you use it, because it costs Stamina.
- Inner Rage: This is your ranged taunt, in case you can not get to a mob fast enough.
- Restoring Focus: Make sure to keep this ability active all the time. It gives you Major Ward and Resolve, increasing both Armor and Spell Resistance by 5280, plus an extra 8% healing and damage mitigation.
- Empowering Sweep: Only costs 72 Ultimate Points, adds a flat 15% damage mitigation to you and an additional 4% for each extra enemy hit.
- Flex Spot: Extended Ritual can be swapped out with any skill you want.
|S&B Mainbar||S&B bar|
|Slot 1: Radiant Ward||Slot 1: Extended Ritual|
|Slot 2: Repentance||Slot 2: Heroic Slash|
|Slot 3: Pierce Armor||Slot 3: Silver Leash|
|Slot 4: Ritual of Rebirth||Slot 4: Inner Rage|
|Slot 5: Deep Thoughts/ Spell Symmetry||Slot 5: Restoring Focus|
|Ultimate: Aggressive Warhorn||Ultimate: Empowering Sweep|
Other optional Skills:
- Spell Symmetry: If you use Spell Symmetry you restore 3000 Magicka and your next Magicka ability that you use gets a reduced cost of 25% this lasts 5 seconds.
IMPORTANT: Be aware that when you use the skill, that all shields and healing will be cut in half for the next 4 seconds.
- Honor the Dead: This is used as a life safer heal, quite a big burst heal and you will get the 60% of the cost back if you heal a target below 75%. You can also use the other morph.
- Shield Discipline (Ultimate): Only use this if you really have no stamina anymore, so you can basically “free” block for 7 seconds and do heavy attacks to restore stamina.
Championpoints [780 CP]
47 Physical Weapons Expert, 73 Master-at-Arms
75 Blessed, 52 Elfborn, 13 Spell Erosion
81 Shadow Ward, 50 Tumbling
56 Warlord, 21 Bashing Focus, 9 Sprinter
32 Quick Recovery
49 Hardy, 49 Elemental Defender, 48 Thick Skinned
66 Ironclad, 16 Spellshield
Championpoints [600 CP]
26 Precise Strikes, 1 Piercing
100 Shadow Ward, 50 Tumbling
49 Hardy, 49 Elemental Defender, 23 Thick Skinned
61 Ironclad, 18 Spell Shield
Championpoints [300 CP]
76 Blessed, 23 Elfborn, 1 Spell Erosion
75 Shadow Ward, 25 Tumbling
23 Hardy, 23 Elemental Defender, 23 Thick Skinned
Important Info for Templar Tank Build PvE
You have to make sure to have a bit more Stamina than Magicka. Because of the Synergies you pick up give you back whatever stat is higher. You can change this to your liking, if you do not need that much health, get more stamina.
24 Magicka, 0 Health, 40 Stamina
Longfin pasty with Melon Sauce (Max Health+Max Stamina+Max Magicka)
The Lord (Max Health)
(Health, Stamina, Magicka)
(Bugloss, Columbine, Dragonthorn)
In case you are still unsure on how to mix the ingredients together, you can check out a alchemy simulator here: Alchemy Simulator
- Aedric Spear: Piercing Spear, Spear Wall, Burning Light, Balanced Warrior
- Dawn’s Wrath: Enduring Rays, Prism, Illuminate, Restoring Spirit
- Restoring Light: Mending, Sacred Ground, Light Weaver, Master Ritualist
- One Hand and Shield: Fortress, Sword and Board, Deadly Bash, Deflect Bolts, Battlefield Mobility
- Heavy Armor: Resolve, Constitution, Juggernaut, Revitalize, Rapid Mending
- Medium Armor: Dexterity, Wind Walker, Athletics
- Light Armor: Recovery, Evocation, Spell Warding
- Vampire: Supernatural Recovery, Undeath, Dark Stalker
- Fighters Guild: Banish the Wicked
- Mages Guild: Mage Adept, Everlasting Magic, Magicka Controller
- Undaunted: Undaunted Command, Undaunted Mettle
- Psijic Order: Concentrated Barrier, Deliberation
- Racial: All
- Alchemy: Medicinal Use
I highly recommend being a Vampire. Vampire provides you higher Magicka and Stamina recovery and makes you tankier on low health like I explain in the Vampire Mechanics Video.
- Dragonknight Tank Build PvE
- Sorcerer Tank Build PvE
- Nightblade Tank Build PvE
- Warden Tank Build PvE
- Dragonknight Shield Tank Build PvE (SC)
30.07.2018 Updated Build for Wolfhunter DLC, Summerset Chapter Templar Tank Build PvE
16.08.2018 Added a Beginner Gear Setup to the Templar Tank Build PvE
21.08.2018 Removed Char Screenshot due to inaccuracy of a buff food bug that was present during the Summerset Chapter.
12.09.2018 Added 600 CP Setup.