Table of Contents
- Changes from the previous version
- Resource Management
- Dungeons & Trials Setup
- Update Log
Welcome to the Nightblade Tank Build PvE “Siphoner” for Elder Scrolls Online. Make sure to bookmark the link as I will keep updating the build for each new Update of ESO. The Nightblade Tank Build Siphoner is optimized for Dungeons and Trials. Keep in mind there is a huge variety of different tank builds out there that synergize well depending on your group setup. Remember, each Dungeon needs some small adjustments to the build.
Other Tank Guides:
We are using a Health build, as you really want to make sure to have enough health to absorb damage. Having a lot of health also increases our heals that we get from Dark Cloak. This ability scales off health, so we get a decent amount of health per second thanks to our big health pool as long as we keep this ability up.
The Mirage skill gives us constant 20% AoE damage mitigation, which really helps a lot to mitigation a lot of the incoming damage. We also use Battalion Defender set which both can heal you or your group mates.
- Dungeon & Trial Build
- Tank/Support Build
- Heavy Armor
- Great Sustain
- Easy Survivability
Changes to the previous Version
Update 28 Markarth DLC brings the following changes to the build:
- Increased to 5948, up from 5280.
- Major Breach now affects both Physical and Spell Resistance equally.
- Decreased to 20%, down from 25%.
Leeching Strikes helps us sustain our stamina better, you will get a big burst of resources when the effect ends and when you do light or heavy attacks.
Energy Orb is a skill that Healers use to throw into the group. You can use the synergy this skill provides to regain around 4000 resources. Our max Stamina is a bit higher than our Max Magicka, that is because you will get resources depending on your higher max Stamina or Magicka. And because we are a tank, Stamina is definitely more important.
Incapacitating Strike ultimate is slotted on the front bar for the “Reave” buff. Every time you do a Light or Heavy Attack you will gain resources, this is very powerful.
Heavy Attacks restore a big amount of stamina, if you hit an off-balanced enemy it gives twice the amount back. You don’t need to permablock, try to find time to do Heavy Attacks in your rotation.
Potions are also a key to manage your resources well, I recommend using Tri-Stat potions to regain all three resources at the same time. Further below you will learn how to craft the right potions.
To increase our Magicka sustain, we want to make sure to use Spell Symmetry to manage our Magicka resources.
- Leeching Strikes
- Spell Symmetry
- Heavy Attacks
- Orbs (Undaunted skill-line)
Dungeons & Trials Setup
5x Ebon Armory, 5x Batallion Defender, 2x Symphony of Blades with Bewitched Sugar Skills on a Nord.
- Unbuffed: Out of combat.
- Buffed: Raid Target Dummy buffs.
Gear Setup 1
Lightning vs Frost Staff: You can use both options, a frost staff is better if you want to go the save route and get all the block mitigation on the backbar as well. The Lightning Staff is used in combination with Elemental Blockade to apply Off-Balance to the enemy, that way you can support your group and increase the overall damage output.
- Set allocation: It does not matter what gearsets you wear where, as long as you use those two combos, you should be fine.
|Chest||Battalion Defender||Heavy||Reinforced||Tri Stat Enchantment|
|Belt||Ebon Armory||Heavy||Sturdy||Health Enchantment|
|Shoes||Ebon Armory||Heavy||Sturdy||Health Enchantment|
|Pants||Battalion Defender||Heavy||Infused||Tri Stat Enchantment|
|Hands||Battalion Defender||Heavy||Sturdy||Health Enchantment|
|Head||Symphony of Blades||Light||Infused||Tri Stat Enchantment|
|Shoulder||Symphony of Blades||Medium||Sturdy||Health Enchantment|
|Necklace||Ebon Armory||Jewelry||Infused||Reduce Prismatic Cost Enchant (Idenko Glyph)|
|Ring||Ebon Armory||Jewelry||Infused||Reduce Prismatic Cost Enchant (Idenko Glyph)|
|Ring||Ebon Armory||Jewelry||Infused||Block Cost Reduction|
|Weapon 1 S&B||Battalion Defender||1H-Weap||Decisive||Weakening Enchantment|
|Weapon 1 S&B||Battalion Defender||Shield||Sturdy||Tri-Stat Enchantment|
|Weapon 2 Destro||Battalion Defender||Lightning Staff||Infused||Crusher Enchantment|
Beginner Gear Setup
This beginner setup is here for people that do not have access to the other setup now. You can ask a friend to craft Fortified Brass and Torug’s Pact for you. You could also use Plague Doctor instead of Torug’s Pact as it is very cheap available in the Guild Stores.
|Chest||Fortified Brass||Heavy||Reinforced||Stamina Enchantment|
|Belt||[Fortified Brass||Light||Sturdy||Health Enchantment|
|Shoes||Fortified Brass||Medium||Sturdy||Health Enchantment|
|Pants||Torug’s Pact||Heavy||Infused||Stamina Enchantment|
|Hands||Torug’s Pact||Heavy||Sturdy||Health Enchantment|
|Head||Night’s Silence||Heavy||Infused||Stamina Enchantment|
|Shoulder||Night’s Silence||Heavy||Sturdy||Health Enchantment|
|Necklace||Torug’s Pact||Jewelry||Infused||Reduce Prismatic Cost Enchant (Idenko Glyph)|
|Ring||Torug’s Pact||Jewelry||Infused||Reduce Prismatic Cost Enchant (Idenko Glyph)|
|Ring||Torug’s Pact||Jewelry||Infused||Block Cost Reduction|
|Weapon 1 S&B||Fortified Brass||1H-Weap||Decisive||Weakening Enchantment|
|Weapon 1 S&B||Fortified Brass||Shield||Sturdy||Stamina Enchantment|
|Weapon 2 Destro||Fortified Brass||Lightning Staff||Infused||Crusher Enchantment|
Where can I get the gear?
Ebon Armory: Crypts of Hearts
Battalion Defender: Rewards of the Worthy, Guildstore
Symphony of Blades: vDepths of Malatar
Lord Warden: vImperial City Prison
Roar of Alkosh: Maw of Lorkhaj
Bloodspawn: vSpindleclutch 2
Swarm Mother: vSpindleclutch 1
Fortified Brass: Craftable
Torug’s Pact: Craftable
Night’s Silence: Craftable
Plague Doctor: Deshaan, Guildstore
Make sure to adjust your skills to your needs, this setup is not maced into stone, make sure to adjust skills depending on the situation of a fight.
- Lotus Fan can also be used for the setup to apply Minor Vulnerability to the enemy.
- Silver Leash can be used if you need something to pull monsters to you.
|S&B Mainbar||Destro Staff bar|
|Slot 1: Heroic Slash||Slot 1: Leeching Strikes|
|Slot 2: Dark Cloak||Slot 2: Mirage|
|Slot 3: Pierce Armor||Slot 3: Spell Symmetry|
|Slot 4: Relentless Focus||Slot 4: Inner Rage|
|Slot 5: Defensive Stance||Slot 5: Elemental Blockade|
|Ultimate: Incapacitating Strike||Ultimate: Aggressive Warhorn|
- Heroic Slash: Debuffs the enemy with a 5% damage reduction debuff and also gives you Minor Heroism, increasing your Ultimate generation.
- Dark Cloak: Heals you based on Max Health and grants Minor Protection, increasing your damage mitigation by 5%.
- Pierce Armor: Your main taunt, also debuffs the enemy with Major Fracture and Major Breach, reducing Spell and Physical Resistance by 5948.
- Relentless Focus: Flexspot, you can place another ability here if you would like.. If you keep Relentless Focus up you gain increased Critical healing.
- Defensive Stance: Applies a shield to you and increases the amount you can block by 10% and reduces block cost by 10%.
- Incapacitating Strike: This ultimate is only slotted, never used. It returns resources due to the Reave perk every time you Light or Heavy Attack.
- Leeching Strikes: One of your resource management tools, keep this active all the time.
- Mirage: Keep this up as it provides you with Minor Ward and Resolve, plus a 20% AoE damage mitigation effect.
- Spell Symmetry: This gives you unlimited Magicka, just be careful when you activate it due to the Health loss.
- Inner Rage: This is your ranged taunt, in case you can not get to a mob fast enough.
- Elemental Blockade: The Lightning Blockade needs to be on the ground all the time, it is here to keep our crusher enchantment up a 100%. The crusher enchantment will even proc while you are on the frontbar, you just have to make sure to keep the blockade up.
- Aggressive Warhorn: Your main Ultimate, to buff the group with 10% more max resources and crit damage boost.
If you need optimized defensive Champion Points for a specific trial I recommend checking out my Maximize Damage Mitigation in Trials Article.
- Calculator: In case you need help distributing your Champion Points, make sure to check out the Champion Points Calculator!
Champion Points 
40 Thaumaturge, 34 Precise Strikes, 43 Mighty
2 Physical Weapons Expert, 31 Master-at-Arms
75 Blessed, 44 Elfborn, 1 Spell Erosion
81 Shadow Ward, 61 Tumbling
56 Warlord, 21 Bashing Focus, 8 Sprinter
18 Bastion, 12 Heavy Armor Focus
56 Hardy, 56 Elemental Defender, 56 Thick Skinned
Champion Points 
27 Precise Strikes, 26 Thaumaturge, 43 Mighty
26 Master-at-Arms, 2 Physical Weapon Expert
49 Blessed, 26 Elfborn, 1 Spell Erosion
100 Shadow Ward, 50 Tumbling
56 Hardy, 49 Elemental Defender, 23 Thick Skinned
Champion Points 
44 Shadow Ward
27 Hardy, 27 Elemental Defender, 2 Thick Skinned
Champion Points 2.0 Setup
Below you can find the Champion Points setup for this build. Work your way from top to bottom of the list depending on how many Champion Points you already have. For more information on Champion Points, please visit the Champion Points Overview Page on ESO-Hub.com.
Preset used for this allocation: https://eso-hub.com/en/champion-points/calculator?preset=9d2e9051-fbe3-48ee-8e6c-aa64ecf87c38
- Points Needed: Implies how many Champion Points you will need to make it to that perk.
- Perk: Hoover over it to see what the perk does. For more information click on it to get redirected to ESO-Hub.com
- Points Invested: Amount of points that you have to place in the perk at that time.
Warfare Tree Points Allocation
The Warfare Champion Point tree is by far the most important to increase your damage and damage mitigation.
|Points needed||Perk||Points Used|
|720-870||Duelist’s Rebuff (Slottable)||50|
|870-1020||Enduring Resolve (Slottable)||50|
Fitness Tree Points Allocation
The Fitness Champion Points tree has useful health, recovery perks and more damage mitigation.
|Points needed||Perk||Points Used|
|0-150||Boundless Vitality (Slottable)||50|
|1149-1299||Expert Evasion (Slottable)||50|
Craft Tree Points Allocation
The Craft Champion Point tree is almost entirely optional, there is not really anything useful for combat itself. Follow the list or spend points however you want.
|Points needed||Perk||Points used|
|0-150||Steed’s Blessing (Slottable)||50|
|345-570||Liquid Efficiency (Slottable)||75|
|1290-1380||Out of Sight||30|
|1599-1749||Treasure Hunter (Slottable)||50|
Important Info for Nightblade Tank Build PvE
Longfin pasty with Melon Sauce (Max Health+Max Stamina+Max Magicka)
Bewitched Sugar Skulls
This is a slightly more advanced version that has a bit higher stats and also includes health recovery. Though it also costs more.
The Lord is a good Mundus Stone to increase maximum Health. However, you can also use other available Mundus Stones if you don’t need the extra Health.
The Lord (Max Health)
You can find more about racial passives in the ESO Race Overview page.
For hard content I recommend using crafted or crown store Tri-Stat potions.
(Health, Stamina, Magicka)
(Bugloss, Columbine, Mountain Flower)
- Assassination: Master Assassin, Executioner, Pressure Points, Hemorrhage
- Shadow: Refreshing Shadows, Shadow Barrier, Dark Vigor, Dark Veil
- Siphoning: Catalyst, Magicka Flood, Soul Siphoner, Transfer
- One Hand and Shield: Fortress, Sword and Board, Deadly Bash, Deflect Bolts, Battlefield Mobility
- Destruction Staff: Tri Focus, Penetrating Magic, Elemental Force, Ancient Knowledge, Destruction Expert
- Heavy Armor: Resolve, Constitution, Juggernaut, Revitalize, Rapid Mending
- Medium Armor: Dexterity, Wind Walker, Athletics
- Light Armor: Grace, Evocation, Spell Warding
- Fighters Guild: Banish the Wicked
- Undaunted: Undaunted Command, Undaunted Mettle
- Racial: All
- Alchemy: Medicinal Use
You have to make sure to have a bit more Stamina than Magicka. Because of the Synergies you pick up give you back whatever stat is higher. You can change this to your liking, if you do not need that much health, get more stamina.
10 Magicka, 54 Health
11.08.2019 Updated Build for the SCALEBREAKER DLC, Elsweyr Chapter, Nightblade Tank Build PvE.
20.10.2019 Updated the Build for the DRAGONHOLD DLC, Elsweyr Chapter.
20.02.2020 Updated the Build for the HARROWSTORM DLC, Greymoor Chapter.
07.05.2020 Updated the Buld for the GREYMOOR CHAPTER.
20.08.2020 Updated the Build for the STONETHORN DLC, Greymoor Chapter.
29.10.2020 Updated the Build for the MARKARTH DLC, Greymoor Chapter.
Tags: Health Nightblade Tank, Nightblade Tank Build, NB Tank Build PvE.