Table of Contents
- Changes from the previous version
- Resource Management
- Dungeons & Trials Setup
- Update Log
Welcome to the Necromancer Tank Build PvE “Colossus” for Elder Scrolls Online. Make sure to bookmark the link as I will keep updating the build for each new Update of ESO. The Necromancer Tank Build PvE “Colossus” is optimized for Dungeons, Arenas & Trials.
Keep in mind there is a huge variety of different tank builds out there that synergize well depending on your group setup. Remember, each Dungeon or Trial needs some small adjustments to the build. So if you for example feel that you need more health, then go for it!
Other Tank Guides:
The Necromancer has a very strong tanking toolkit, especially thanks to the Bone Tyrant skill-line. The sets are similar to other classes but the skills differentiate quite a bit. Beckoning Armor is a nice ability to pull in ranged targets without paying too much attention to them,
Agony Totem applies debuffs to the enemies and players can even use a synergy with this skill. The most important skill for a Necromancer Tank is the Necrotic Potency which can increase your ultimate regeneration by a lot. that way you can regain your Ultimate way faster then any other class!
- Necromancer Class
- Trial, Dungeon & Arena
- Tank/ Support Build
- Heavy Armor
- Great sustain
- Great survivability
- Great self healing
Changes to the previous Version
- Updated the gear setup.
- Updated skill setup.
- Updated screenshots.
- Updated attributes.
- Updated the resource management section.
- Removed Vampire from the build. Vampire gets a permanent cost increase on all your skills with the new updated, that we don’t want.
Mortal Coil requires a corpse to drain, once the tether is connected it heals and restores Stamina.
Spell Symmetry returns Magicka, you can use this as much as you want, but be careful that your Healer is healing you. Because you loose Health while using this.
Energy Orb is a skill that Healers use to throw into the group. You can use the synergy this skill provides to regain around 4000 resources. Our max Stamina is a bit higher than our Max Magicka, that is because you will get resources depending on your higher max Stamina or Magicka. And because we are a tank, Stamina is definitely more important.
Heavy Attacks restore a big amount of stamina, if you hit an off-balanced enemy it gives twice the amount back. You don’t need to permablock, try to find time to do Heavy Attacks in your rotation.
Potions are also a key to manage your resources well, I recommend using Tri-Stat potions to regain all three resources at the same time. Further below you will learn how to craft the right potions.
- Mortal Coil
- Spirit Guardian
- Spell Symmetry
- Heavy Attacks
- Orbs (Undaunted skill-line)
Dungeon & Trial Setup
5x Ebon Armory, 5x Battalion Defender, 2x Thurvokun on a Nord with Bewitched Sugar Skulls food.
- Unbuffed: Out of combat
- Buffed: Raid Target Dummy buffs, Beckoning Armor, Spirit Guardian and Tri-stat potions were active.
Lightning vs Frost Staff: You can use both options, a frost staff is better if you want to go the save route and get all the block mitigation on the backbar as well. The Lightning Staff is used in combination with Elemental Blockade to apply Off-Balance to the enemy, that way you can support your group and increase the overall damage output.
- Monster Sets: There are various Monster Sets that you can wear along with this combination, you can use Mighty Chudan, Pirate Skeleton, Bloodspawn, Vykosa etc.
|Chest||Ebon Armory||Heavy||Reinforced||Tri Stat Enchantment|
|Belt||Ebon Armory||Heavy||Sturdy||Health Enchantment|
|Shoes||Ebon Armory||Heavy||Sturdy||Health Enchantment|
|Pants||Ebon Armory||Heavy||Infused||Tri Stat Enchantment|
|Hands||Ebon Armory||Heavy||Sturdy||Health Enchantment|
|Head||Thurvokun||Light||Infused||Tri Stat Enchantment|
|Necklace||Battalion Defender||Jewelry||Infused||Reduce Prismatic Cost Enchant (Idenko Glyph)|
|Ring||Battalion Defender||Jewelry||Infused||Reduce Prismatic Cost Enchant (Idenko Glyph)|
|Ring||Battalion Defender||Jewelry||Infused||Bracing Enchantment|
|Weapon 1 S&B||Battalion Defender||1H-Weap||Decisive||Weakening Enchantment|
|Weapon 1 S&B||Battalion Defender||Shield||Sturdy||Tri-Stat Enchantment|
|Weapon 2 Destro||Battalion Defender||Lightning Staff||Infused||Crusher Enchantment|
Beginner Gear Setup
This beginner setup is here for people that do not have access to the other setup now. You can ask a friend to craft Fortified Brass and Torug’s Pact for you. You could also use Plague Doctor instead of Torug’s Pact as it is very cheap available in the Guild Stores.
|Chest||Fortified Brass||Heavy||Reinforced||Stamina Enchantment|
|Belt||Fortified Brass||Light||Sturdy||Health Enchantment|
|Shoes||Fortified Brass||Medium||Sturdy||Health Enchantment|
|Pants||Torug's Pact||Heavy||Infused||Stamina Enchantment|
|Hands||Torug's Pact||Heavy||Sturdy||Health Enchantment|
|Head||Night's Silence||Heavy||Infused||Stamina Enchantment|
|Shoulder||Night's Silence||Heavy||Sturdy||Health Enchantment|
|Necklace||Torug's Pact||Jewelry||Healthy||Reduce Prismatic Cost Enchant (Idenko Glyph)|
|Ring||Torug's Pact||Jewelry||Healthy||Reduce Prismatic Cost Enchant (Idenko Glyph)|
|Ring||Torug's Pact||Jewelry||Healthy||Bracing Enchantment|
|Weapon 1 S&B||Fortified Brass||1H-Weap||Decisive||Weakening Enchantment|
|Weapon 1 S&B||Fortified Brass||Shield||Sturdy||Stamina Enchantment|
|Weapon 2 Destro||Fortified Brass||Lightning Staff||Infused||Crusher Enchantment|
Where can I get the gear?
Ebon Armory: Crypts of Hearts
Battalion Defender: Cyrodiil, Guildstores
Thurvokun: Fang Lair, Urgarlag Undaunted Chest
Lord Warden: Imperial City Prison
Fortified Brass: Craftable
Torug's Pact: Craftable
Night's Silence: Craftable
Plague Doctor: Deshaan, Guildstore
|S&B Mainbar||Destro Staff off-bar|
|Slot 1: Agony Totem||Slot 1: Necrotic Potency|
|Slot 2: Heroic Slash||Slot 2: Elemental Blockade|
|Slot 3: Pierce Armor||Slot 3: Mortal Coil|
|Slot 4: Spirit Guardian||Slot 4: Inner Rage|
|Slot 5: Spell Symmetry||Slot 5: Beckoning Armor|
|Ultimate: Aggressive Warhorn||Ultimate: Pestilent Colossus|
- Agony Totem: Place this on the ground to give Minor Protection to your group, decreasing their damage taken by 8%. Allies can also use the synergy to apply Minor Vulnerability to the enemy, increasing their damage taken by 8%.
- Heroic Slash: Debuffs the enemy with a 15% damage reduction debuff and also gives you Minor Heroism, increasing your Ultimate generation.
- Pierce Armor: Your main taunt, also debuffs the enemy with Major Fracture and Major Breach, reducing Spell and Physical Resistance by 5280.
- Spirit Ward: The ghost heals you and also mitigates damage you take by 10%.
- Spell Symmetry: If you use Spell Symmetry you restore 3000 Magicka and your next magicka ability that you use gets a reduced cost of 25% this lasts 5 seconds.
IMPORTANT: Be aware that when you use the skill, that all shields and healing will be cut in half for the next 4 seconds.
- Aggressive Warhorn: Your main Ultimate, to buff the group with 10% more max resources and crit damage boost.
- Necrotic Potency: Use this ability on trash fights where you have a lot of corpses, you will gain a lot of extra Ultimate and some health.
- Elemental Blockade: If you are using a Shock staff, this can proc off balance on the enemies which increases the damage output of your group. (You could also use Expunge and Modify here)
- Mortal Coil: Heals you and returns Stamina at the same time.
- Inner Rage: This is your ranged taunt, in case you can not get to a mob fast enough.
- Beckoning Armor: Buffs your resistances and pulls in ranged enemies that hit you.
- Pestilent Colossus: Applies Major Vulnerablity for 8 seconds, so bosses take 30% more damage.
If you need optimized defensive Champion Points for a specific trial I recommend checking out my Maximize Damage Mitigation in Trials Article.
47 Physical Weapons Expert, 73 Master-at-Arms
100 Blessed, 48 Elfborn, 2 Spell Erosion
81 Shadow Ward, 60 Tumbling
56 Warlord, 21 Bashing Focus, 9 Sprinter
32 Quick Recovery
49 Hardy, 49 Elemental Defender, 48 Thick Skinned
66 Ironclad, 26 Spellshield
26 Precise Strikes, 1 Piercing
100 Shadow Ward, 50 Tumbling
49 Hardy, 49 Elemental Defender, 23 Thick Skinned
61 Ironclad, 18 Spell Shield
44 Shadow Ward
27 Hardy, 27 Elemental Defender, 2 Thick Skinned
Important Info for Necromancer Tank Build PvE
Longfin pasty with Melon Sauce (Max Health+Max Stamina+Max Magicka)
Bewitched Sugar Skulls
This is a slightly more advanced version that has a bit higher stats and also includes health recovery. Though it also costs more.
The Lord is a good Mundus Stone to increase maximum Health. However, you can also use other available Mundus Stones if you don’t need the extra Health.
The Lord (Max Health)
Nord (Fast ultimate generation, extra resistances)
Argonian (Best sustain)
(Health, Stamina, Magicka)
(Bugloss, Columbine, Mountain Flower)
- Grave Lord: Reusable Parts, Death Knell, Dismember, Rapid Rot
- Bone Tyrant: Death Gleaning, Disdain Harm, Health Avarice, Last Gasp
- Living Death: Curative Curse, Near-Death Experience, Corpse Consumption, Undead Confederate
- One Hand and Shield: Fortress, Sword and Board, Deadly Bash, Deflect Bolts, Battlefield Mobility
- Destruction Staff: Penetrating Magic, Elemental Force, Ancient Knowledge, Destruction Expert
- Heavy Armor: Resolve, Constitution, Juggernaut, Revitalize, Rapid Mending
- Medium Armor: Dexterity, Wind Walker, Athletics
- Light Armor: Grace, Evocation, Spell Warding
- Fighters Guild: Banish the Wicked
- Undaunted: Undaunted Command, Undaunted Mettle
- Racial: All
- Alchemy: Medicinal Use
You have to make sure to have a bit more Stamina than Magicka. Because of the Synergies you pick up give you back whatever stat is higher. You can change this to your liking, if you do not need that much health, get more stamina.
10 Magicka, 54 Health, 0 Stamina
11.082019 Updated the Build for the SCALEBREAKER DLC, Elsweyr Chapter, Necromancer Tank Build PvE.
20.10.2019 Updated the Build for the DRAGONHOLD DLC, Elsweyr Chapter.
20.02.2020 Updated the Build for the HARROWSTORM DLC, Greymoor Chapter.
08.05.2020 Updated the Build for the GREYMOOR CHAPTER.
Tags: Necromancer Tank Build PVE, Necro Tank Build, Necro Health Tank Build PvE.