Build Creator: This build was created by FrozyESO, if you have any questions about this setup I recommend asking him either during his live streams on twitch or in our community partner discord @FrozyESO#6969
Table of Contents
- Resource Management
- PVP Setup
- Update Log
Welcome to the ‘Magicka Necromancer PvP Group Build “Smasher” for Elder Scrolls Online. Make sure to bookmark the link as I will keep updating the build for each new Update of ESO. The Smasher Build is optimized for Organized Group Play of 12-16 in Cyrodiil.
This build is a 5-1-1 light setup with Spinner's Garments, Vicious Death and Balorgh. Since Elsweyr chapter got released, the Magicka Necromancer arises and has a very strong role in a group of any size.
Even thought the class does not bring the best sustainable damage, it brings ones of the best debuffs and synergies on the table. With the combination of Glacial Colossus and Agony Totem, you apply both Major and Minor Vulnerability to all players inside increasing their damage taken by 38%. With Unnerving Boneyard, you also apply Major Breach and Major Fracture to them decreasing their resistances by 5280. Timing your Stalking Blastbones with Proximity Detonation and Glacial Colossus also provide a great burst potential.
Ideally, you would like to have a Magicka Necromancer Support running the abilities providing the two synergies (Boneyard and Totem) but if you only have one Necromancer available, it can also be introduced in a Damage Dealer setup as described in this build.
- Optimized for Organized Group Play of 12-16 in Cyrodiil
- Lightning Staff and Frost Staff setup
- Light Armor
- Great synergies and debuffs
- Amazing Burst
- Champion Points Build
Artaeum Picked Fish Bowl is the Food we use with this setup. If you don’t have the budget, you can consider using Solitude Salmon-Millet Soup instead. If you have Stamina sustain issue, use TriStats.
Using a Synergy Cooldown tracking addon such as RDK Group Tools (will be released publically soon) or Sanct Ultimate Organizer (latest version on Minion only) helps to make good use of energy orbs.
- Energy Orbs with Harmony
- Frost heavy/light attacks
- Breton Passives
With Champion Points
Major Resolve, Major Ward and Major Sorcery were active when I took the screenshot.
We are running a 5-1-1 Light Armor setup Spinner's Garments, Vicious Death with Balorgh. For Group Play, I found that 5 Impenetrable and 2 Divine traits work best. You want to make sure to keep your shield up. Also consider changing one or two jewellery traits to Swift if needed.
|Necklace||Vicious Death||Jewelry||Arcane||Spell Damage|
|Ring||Vicious Death||Jewelry||Arcane||Spell Damage|
|Ring||Vicious Death||Jewelry||Harmony||Spell Damage|
|Weapon 1||Vicious Death||Light Staff||Nirnhoned||Spell Damage|
|Weapon 2||Vicious Death||Frost Staff||Charged||Absorb Stamina|
|Lightning Staff Mainbar||Frost Staff off bar|
|Slot 1: Balance||Slot 1: Elusive Mist|
|Slot 2: Agony Totem||Slot 2: Unnerving Boneyard|
|Slot 3: Dampen Magic||Slot 3: Blockade of Frost|
|Slot 4: Storm Ring||Slot 4: Necrotic Potency|
|Slot 5: Stalking Blastbones||Slot 5: Proximity Detonation|
|Ultimate: Glacial Colossus||Ultimate : Renewing Animation|
- Balance: This is your main source of sustain.
- Dampen Magic: This is your main source of defense.
- Storm Ring: This is your spammable aoe. If you play with Swift trait and are able to reach enemies quickly, you may consider using the other morph to apply Minor Mangle.
- Agony Totem: This combo of hard cc and synergy is used offensively and defensively.
- Glacial Colossus: This ultimate combined with Eye of the Storm, Permafrost or Dawnbreaker of Smiting provides the best aoe burst window and maximum effectiveness.
- Elusive Mist: The Necromancer is most likely one of the slowest class in the game. This will be a life saver whenever you get a major lag rollback or if you get teleported or chained away from the raid. Depending of the experience level and reaction time of your healers with Breath of Life and supports with Steadfast Ward, you might get away with Race Against Time combind with Dampen Magic
- Unnerving Boneyard: This skill deals frost damage over time, provides Major Fracture / Breach and a strong synergy that also deal frost damage over time.
- Blockade of Frost: One of the main kiting tool in your raid.
- Stalking Blastbones: The Shalks version of Magicka Sorcerer. This skill was redesigned in the Scalebreaker update to spawn faster but still has major issues reaching your target of Magicka Necromancer.
- Renewing Animation: This still is quite expensive and will be used in extreme situations when you don’t have the time to stop to resurrect someone.
Rotation and Combos
First of all, I would like to point out that the role of this build is mainly to be a Damage Dealer but also includes several Support abilities. If your group composition includes a Magicka Necromancer Support, consider replacing the following skills :
- Unnerving Boneyard by Beckoning Armor
- Balance by Spell Symmetry
- Agony Totem by Skeletal Arcanist
- Elemental Blockade by Unstable Wall of Elements
In a magicka group focus, the leader will usually start an engagement by doing a countdown of Proximity Detonation. As you hear the countdown, cast Stalking Blastbones on the biggest stack ahead, then cast Proximity Detonation followed by Unnerving Boneyard also on the biggest stack.
Finally, spam Shock Ring a few times and reapply your synergies and Stalking Blastbones on enemies as they move as long as the leader doesn’t call to disengage.
If the leader call for a Smash to be used (Glacial Colossus or Pestilent Colossus), cast it in the rotation above as you hear bomblades using their storms. Adjust accordingly of the timing but it will generally go after using Unnerving Boneyard from distance.
Feel free to also animation cancel Elusive Mist to get ride of snares and roots, then sprint using the Major Expedition provided by stam classes in the raid. Note that since Scalebreaker got released, this buff now stays active for 8 seconds even when damaging enemies or healing allies.
Last and not the least, never let your magicka pool go under 50% unless you are into an extremely long and intense engagement without any terrain or object nearby to get out of sight. Every split second you have and as long as you stay in the front of the group, cast Dampen Magic into one or multiple Balance to get your magicka pool back up to full.
Champion Points 
66 Master at Arms
51 Elfborn, 38 Spell Erosion, 65 Elemental Expert
44 Tumbling, 40 Shadow Ward
100 Arcanist, 37 Tenacity
44 Warlord, 1 Siphoner, 4 Sprinter
11 Quick Recovery, 16 Bastion
56 Hardy, 56 Elemental Defender, 56 Thick Skinned
61 Ironclad, 13 Resistant
40 Elfborn, 20 Spell Erosion, 49 Elemental Expert
75 Arcanist, 37 Tenacity
44 Warlord, 1 Siphoner
16 Bastion, 11 Quick Recovery
37 Hardy, 37 Elemental Defender, 48 Thick Skinned
40 Ironclad, 11 Resistant
Important Info for Magicka Necromancer PvP Build
Artaeum Picked Fish Bowl
Solitude Salmon Millet Soup
Withered Tree Inn Venison Pot Roast
The Lover (Increased Penetration)
(CC Immunity, Health, Magicka)
(Bugloss, Namira’s Rot, Columbine)
- Grave Lord: Reusable Parts, Death Knell, Dismember, Rapid Rot
- Bone Tyrant: Death Gleaning, Disdain Harm, Health Avarice, Last Gasp
- Living Death: Curative Curse, Corpse Consumption, Undead Confederate
- Destruction Staff: Tri Focus, Penetrating Magic, Elemental Force, Ancient Knowledge, Destruction Expert
- Light Armor: Grace, Evocation, Spell Warding, Prodigy, Concentration
- Heavy Armor: Resolve, Constitution, Juggernaut
- Medium Armor: Wind Walker, Athletics
- Mages Guild: Mage Adept, Magicka Controller, Might of the Guild
- Undaunted: Undaunted Command, Undaunted Mettle
- Assault: Continuous Attack, Reach, Combat Frenzy
- Support: Magicka Aid, Combat Medic, Battle Resurrection
- Alchemy: Medicinal Use
- Racial: All
You can find three different Highlights from FrozyESO stream with his group as Magicka Necromancer here! First two are short clips and the 3rd Highlight is a longer gameplay video.