Table of Contents
- Changes from the previous version
- Resource Management
- Trials & Dungeons Setup
- Update Log
Welcome to the Sorcerer Tank Build PvE “Capacitor” for Elder Scrolls Online. Make sure to bookmark the link as I will keep updating the build for each new Update of ESO.
The Sorcerer Tank Build Capacitor is optimized for Dungeons & Trials. Keep in mind there is a huge variety of different tank builds out there that synergize well depending on your group setup.
Other Tank Guides:
The Sorcerer Tank Build Capacitor has great self sustain and healing. With Spell Symmetry we have endless Magicka sustain and Dark Deal covers the Stamina sustain. Those abilities synergize really well together and can basically be used infinitely. Just keep in mind, when you use Dark Deal, you drop block for a split second! Dark Deal also heals you for approx. 10’000 per cast.
On top of that we also have the Summon Unstable Clannfear that heals us for 35% of our maximum Health, which is around 22’000 Health non-crit. And the heal from the Clannfear can actually critical hit and you end up with a 36k heal boost if timed correctly. Using Lord Warden and Ebon Armory also lets us support our group members with extra Health and resistance.
- Dungeon Build
- Tank/Support Build
- Heavy Armor
- Great Sustain
- Easy survivability
- Good Shielding
- Insane Healing
- Insane Resource Management
- Concuss enemies for 8% more dmg
Changes to the previous Version
Update 28 Markarth DLC brings the following changes to the build:
- Increased to 5948, up from 5280.
- Major Breach now affects both Physical and Spell Resistance equally.
Energy Orb is a skill that Healers use to throw into the group. You can use the synergy this skill provides to regain around 4000 resources. Our max Stamina is a bit higher than our Max Magicka, that is because you will get resources depending on your higher max Stamina or Magicka. And because we are a tank, Stamina is definitely more important.
Heavy Attacks restore a big amount of stamina, if you hit an off-balanced enemy it gives twice the amount back. You don’t need to permablock, try to find time to do Heavy Attacks in your rotation.
Potions are also a key to manage your resources well, I recommend using Tri-Stat potions to regain all three resources at the same time. Further below you will learn how to craft the right potions.
- Dark Deal
- Spell Symmetry
- Orbs (Undaunted skill)
- Heavy Attacks
Trials & Dungeon Setup
5x Ebon Armory, 5x Plague Doctor, 2x Lord Warden on a Nord with Bewitched Sugar Skulls food.
- Unbuffed: Out of combat
- Buffed: Raid Target Dummy buffs, Boundless Storm and Tri-Stat potions were active.
Lightning vs Frost Staff: You can use both options, a frost staff is better if you want to go the save route and get all the block mitigation on the backbar as well. The Lightning Staff is used in combination with Elemental Blockade to apply Off-Balance to the enemy, that way you can support your group and increase the overall damage output.
- Set allocation: It does not matter what gear sets you wear where, as long as you use those two combos, you should be fine.
|Chest||Plague Doctor||Heavy||Reinforced||Tri Stat Enchantment|
|Belt||Ebon Armory||Heavy||Sturdy||Health Enchantment|
|Shoes||Ebon Armory||Heavy||Sturdy||Health Enchantment|
|Pants||Plague Doctor||Heavy||Infused||Tri Stat Enchantment|
|Hands||Plague Doctor||Heavy||Sturdy||Health Enchantment|
|Head||Lord Warden||Light||Infused||Tri Stat Enchantment|
|Shoulder||Lord Warden||Medium||Sturdy||Health Enchantment|
|Necklace||Ebon Armory||Jewelry||Infused||Reduce Prismatic Cost Enchant (Idenko Glyph)|
|Ring||Ebon Armory||Jewelry||Infused||Reduce Prismatic Cost Enchant (Idenko Glyph)|
|Ring||Ebon Armory||Jewelry||Infused||Bracing Enchantment|
|Weapon 1 S&B||Plague Doctor||1H-Weap||Decisive||Weakening Enchantment|
|Weapon 1 S&B||Plague Doctor||Shield||Sturdy||Tri-Stat Enchantment|
|Weapon 2 Destro||Plague Doctor||Lightning Staff||Infused||Crusher Enchantment|
Beginner Gear Setup
This beginner setup is here for people that do not have access to the other setup now. You can ask a friend to craft Fortified Brass and Torug’s Pact for you. You could also use Plague Doctor instead of Torug’s Pact as it is very cheap available in the Guild Stores.
|Chest||Fortified Brass||Heavy||Reinforced||Stamina Enchantment|
|Belt||Fortified Brass||Light||Sturdy||Health Enchantment|
|Shoes||Fortified Brass||Medium||Sturdy||Health Enchantment|
|Pants||Torug’s Pact||Heavy||Infused||Stamina Enchantment|
|Hands||Torug’s Pact||Heavy||Sturdy||Health Enchantment|
|Head||Night’s Silence||Heavy||Infused||Stamina Enchantment|
|Shoulder||Night’s Silence||Heavy||Sturdy||Health Enchantment|
|Necklace||Torug’s Pact||Jewelry||Infused||Magicka Recovery Glyph|
|Ring||Torug’s Pact||Jewelry||Infused||Reduce Prismatic Cost Enchant (Idenko Glyph)|
|Ring||Torug’s Pact||Jewelry||Infused||Bracing Enchantment|
|Weapon 1 S&B||Fortified Brass||1H-Weap||Decisive||Weakening Enchantment|
|Weapon 1 S&B||Fortified Brass||Shield||Sturdy||Stamina Enchantment|
|Weapon 2 Destro||Fortified Brass||Lightning Staff||Infused||Crusher Enchantment|
Where can I get the gear?
Ebon Armory: Crypts of Hearts
Lord Warden: vImperial City Prison
Plague Doctor: Deshaan, Guildstore
Torug’s Pact: Craftable
Roar of Alkosh: Maw of Lorkhaj
Bloodspawn: vSpindleclutch 2
Swarm Mother: vSpindleclutch 1
Sentinel of Rkugamz: vDarkshade Cavern 1
Fortified Brass: Craftable
Torug’s Pact: Craftable
Night’s Silence: Craftable
Plague Doctor: Deshaan, Guildstore
Make sure to adjust your skills to your needs, this setup is not maced into stone, make sure to adjust skills depending on the situation of a fight.
- Silver Leash can be used if you need something to pull monsters to you.
|S&B Mainbar||Destro Staff bar|
|Slot 1: Defensive Stance||Slot 1: Boundless Storm|
|Slot 2: Heroic Slash||Slot 2: Dark Deal|
|Slot 3: Pierce Armor||Slot 3: Elemental Blockade|
|Slot 4: Spell Symmetry||Slot 4: Inner Rage|
|Slot 5: Unstable Clannfear||Slot 5: Unstable Clannfear|
|Ultimate: Shield Discipline/ Temporal Guard||Ultimate: Aggressive Warhorn|
- Defensive Stance: Applies a shield to you and increases the amount you can block by 10% and reduces block cost by 10%.
- Heroic Slash: Debuffs the enemy with a 5% damage reduction debuff and also gives you Minor Heroism, increasing your Ultimate generation.
- Pierce Armor: Your main taunt, also debuffs the enemy with Major Breach, reducing Spell and Physical Resistance by 5948.
- Spell Symmetry: One of the most important skills for this setup. If you use Spell Symmetry you restore 3000 Magicka and your next magicka ability that you use gets a reduced cost of 25% this lasts 5 seconds. Therefore, before you use the Unstable Clannfear, make sure to use this skill to basically “gain” magicka on cast of the other abilities.
IMPORTANT: Be aware that when you use the skill, that all shields and healing will be cut in half for the next 4 seconds.
- Unstable Clannfear: This pet is insane, the heal when you activate your pet scales of your maximum Health. We have around 46k-50k health and the pet heals for 35% of that and it actually can crit. On top of that, even if you use Spell Symmetry you can still heal yourself for a good amount. While we have a pet active, we also gain 8% more overall Health due to the Expert Summoner passive.
- Shield Discipline: Only use this Ultimate when you have no resources available, otherwise I always recommend using the Horn. You could also slot Temporal Guard here to gain free 5% damage mitigation.
- Boundless Storm: Keep this ability up all the time, it gives you Major Ward and Resolve to increase Physical and Spell Resistance by 5948, plus you actually can concuss enemies. And you get Major Expedititon Speed buff.
- Dark Deal: Restores a lot of Stamina for the cost of Magicka. Be careful tho, you will drop block for half a second. This in combination with Spell Symmetry allows you to have endless sustain.
- Elemental Blockade: The Lightning Blockade needs to be on the ground all the time, it is here to keep our crusher enchantment up a 100%. The crusher enchantment will even proc while you are on the frontbar, you just have to make sure to keep the blockade up.
- Inner Rage: This is your ranged taunt, in case you can not get to a mob fast enough.
- Aggressive Warhorn: Your main Ultimate, to buff the group with 10% more max resources and crit damage boost.
Other good skills:
- Empowered Ward: The main point of this skill is so your group members receive Minor Intellect, increasing their Magicka Recovery. It is also a well sized shield that you can use to shield hard hitting abilities.
- Energy orb: This skill helps to support your other group members with better sustain when they activate the Synergy, usually Healers already run those.
- Temporal Guard: This is the new Psijic Order Ultimate. You could slot this on the front bar to gain 5% free damage mitigation.
- Flex Spot: If you want more Shock abilities that concuss enemies to gain 8% damage for your group members, you could swap out the Clannfear to open up two spots, one for Liquid Lightning and the other one with something else.
If you need optimized defensive Champion Points for a specific trial I recommend checking out my Maximize Damage Mitigation in Trials Article.
- Calculator: In case you need help distributing your Champion Points, make sure to check out the Champion Points Calculator!
Champion Points 
40 Thaumaturge, 34 Precise Strikes, 43 Mighty
2 Physical Weapons Expert, 31 Master-at-Arms
75 Blessed, 44 Elfborn, 1 Spell Erosion
81 Shadow Ward, 61 Tumbling
56 Warlord, 21 Bashing Focus, 8 Sprinter
18 Bastion, 12 Heavy Armor Focus
56 Hardy, 56 Elemental Defender, 56 Thick Skinned
27 Precise Strikes, 26 Thaumaturge, 43 Mighty
26 Master-at-Arms, 2 Physical Weapon Expert
49 Blessed, 26 Elfborn, 1 Spell Erosion
100 Shadow Ward, 50 Tumbling
56 Hardy, 49 Elemental Defender, 23 Thick Skinned
Champion Points 
44 Shadow Ward
27 Hardy, 27 Elemental Defender, 2 Thick Skinned
Important Info for Sorcerer Tank Build PvE
You can buy both of these foods in the guild stores.
Longfin pasty with Melon Sauce (Max Health+Max Stamina+Max Magicka)
Bewitched Sugar Skulls
This is a slightly more advanced version that has a bit higher stats and also includes health recovery. Though it also costs more.
The Lord is a good Mundus Stone to increase maximum Health. However, you can also use other available Mundus Stones if you don’t need the extra Health.
The Lord (Max Health)
You can find more about racial passives in the ESO Race Overview page.
For hard content I recommend using crafted or crown store Tri-Stat potions.
(Health, Stamina, Magicka)
(Bugloss, Columbine, Mountain Flower)
- Dark Magic: Unholy Knowledge, Blood Magic, Persistence, Exploitation
- Daedric Summoning: Rebate, Power Stone, Daedric Protection, Expert Summoner
- Storm Calling: Capacitor
- One Hand and Shield: Fortress, Sword and Board, Deadly Bash, Deflect Bolts, Battlefield Mobility
- Destruction Staff: Tri Focus, Penetrating Magic, Elemental Force, Ancient Knowledge, Destruction Expert
- Heavy Armor: Resolve, Constitution, Juggernaut, Revitalize, Rapid Mending
- Medium Armor: Dexterity, Wind Walker, Athletics
- Light Armor: Grace, Evocation, Spell Warding
- Mages Guild: Mage Adept, Everlasting Magic, Magicka Controller
- Fighters Guild: Banish the Wicked
- Undaunted: Undaunted Command, Undaunted Mettle
- Racial: All
- Alchemy: Medicinal Use
You have to make sure to have a bit more Stamina than Magicka. Because of the Synergies you pick up give you back whatever stat is higher. You can change this to your liking, if you do not need that much health, get more stamina.
10 Magicka, 44 Health, 10 Stamina
11.08.2019 Updated the Build for the SCALEBREAKER DLC, Elsweyr Chapter, Sorcerer Tank Build PvE.
20.10.2019 Updated the Build for the DRAGONHOLD DLC, Elsweyr Chapter.
20.02.2020 Updated the Build for the HARROWSTORM DLC, Greymoor Chapter.
08.05.2020 Updated the Build for the GREYMOOR CHAPTER.
20.08.2020 Updated the Build for the STONETHORN DLC, Greymoor Chapter.
29.10.2020 Updated the Build for the MARKARTH DLC, Greymoor Chapter.
Tags: Sorcerer Health Tank, Sorc Tank Build PvE.