This build is archived. Last Updated: Elsweyr Chapter
Table of Contents
- Changes from the previous version
- Resource Management
- Battlegrounds & Cyrodiil Setup
- Combos, Defense & Healing
- Build Video & Gameplay
- Update Log
Welcome to the Magicka Warden Build PvP “Freezer” for Elder Scrolls Online. Make sure to bookmark the link as I will keep updating the build for each new Update of ESO.
The Magicka Warden Build PvP “Freezer” is a build designed for high burst damage and hindering your enemies movement via frost abilities which cause snares and roots. The build is optimized for Battlegrounds (non Champion Points) but also works in Cyrodiil. With this setup you will almost be immune to ranged builds due to how Crystallized Slab works. This ability can absorb almost all ranged attacks, making it very difficult for the enemy to even touch your health if used correctly in combination with your healing abilities. Our burst damage comes from a combination of DoTs like Wall of Frost, Force Pulse with Asylum Staff and instant damage skills such as Deep Fissure and the projectile from Crystallized Slab, if you line up everything perfectly, you can kill most targets without issues. Healing is provided via Living Trellis, Bond With Nature and Ward Ally in combination with the new Mender's Ward. The build focuses on maximum magicka, therefore we use Necropotence which gets activated by using the Blue Betty and also the Shacklebreaker and like previously mentioned the Concentrated Force (Perfected) and Mender's Ward.
The build is very tanky, even though we are using a Light Armor setup, you can also find gameplay of the build in the gameplay section of this guide.
- Warden Class
- Light Armor Setup
- Destro/ Resto Setup
- High Burst Damage
- Strong Healing
- Strong Group Support
- Optimized for Battlegrounds
- Works in Battlegrounds & Cyrodiil
Changes from the previous version
Changed a few morphs of the original skill setup in the Elsweyr Chapter.
Clockwork Citrus Filet Food (or Witchmother’s Potent Brew), Atronach Mundus Stone which gives us more magicka recovery and an infused magicka recovery glyph on the Necklace in combination with Tri-Stat Potions give us a very good base line of sustain that is already built in and you do not have to worry about. You need to make sure to keep up the Blue Betty ability a 100% of the time, you can cast this whenever you want, it does not have a cost attached to it. In the contrary, every time you use this you actually cleanse 1 negative effect from you for free, so for example if you are snared you can use this to get rid of the snare. It is also important to keep the Blue Betty up because Necropotence gets activated by it. On top of that it also restores a lot of magicka, which will help your sustain a lot.
The next thing is the Absorb Magicka glyph on your front bar and this glyph gets even stronger because we use an infused Frost staff. Make sure to use Light Attacks and keep the Blockade of Frost up, that way you can proc the enchantment, deal damage and recovery magicka. The last option you have is using the Tri-Stat Potion, I usually save it when I am almost dried out or when I drop low on health to give me a huge boost for all three stats.
- Clockwork Citrus Filet Food
- Atronach Mundus Stone
- Magicka Recovery Glyph
- Blue Betty
- Absorb Magicka Glyph
- Tri-Stat Potions
Battlegrounds & Cyrodiil Setup
Champion Points were deactivated when I took the Screenshots.
- Unbuffed: Out of combat, no buffs active
- Buffed: Tri Stat Potion, Weapon Damage Enchantment, Bull Netch & Necropotence and Ice Fortress are active.
Note: The screenshots are from the Murkmire DLC, stats might slightly vary in Wrathstone DLC due to rebalancing.
- What about a Monster Set? Our primary setup doesn’t use a Monster Set. However, if you do not have a Blackrose or Asylum staff, you can use Shacklebreaker Weapons and then you have room for a Monster Set.
- Asylum Staff: The best option you have is the Perfected Asylum Staff, which means every second cast of your Force Pulse will proc the ability altering weapon, which will increase your damage by a lot. If you do not have a Perfected Asylum Staff, then use the Imperfect Asylum Staff, I do recommend to get a Perfect Weapon though.
- Blackrose Resto Staff: The extra healing you get out of this staff is crazy, on top of that you also boost your group members healing and you shield them. You can use a Perfect or Imperfect Blackrose Resto Staff, the difference between those two is not that big.
Blackrose Resto staff should be easy to get by doing normal Blackrose Prison Arena, if you can try get a Perfect one but it requires you to clear it on veteran mode which is a bit more tricky. The Perfect Asylum staff is a bit trickier to get. You have two options, either you clear veteran Asylum Sanctorium on Hardmode +2 or you try to get on the WEEKLY Leaderboard when Asylum Sanctorium is there, it is fairly easy to get on the Asylum Sanctorium Weekly Leaderboard, you can do that with as many characters as you have, if you qualify, you will get Perfected Weapons as a reward in the mail.
Gear Setup 1
- It is very important that you get an infused magicka recovery glyph on one of the jewelry pieces, otherwise sustain might be tough.
- The two protective traits also give us some extra resistances which are very helpful as we play with 5 light armor pieces.
|Weapon 1||Concentrated Force (Perfected)||Frost||Infused||Absorb Magicka Enchant|
|Weapon 2||Perfect Mender's Ward||Resto||Infused||Weapon Damage Enchant|
Gear Setup 2
- Use this setup if you do not have the Asylum or the Blackrose Staff.
|Weapon 1||Shacklebreaker||Frost||Infused||Absorb Magicka Enchant|
|Weapon 2||Shacklebreaker||Resto||Infused||Weapon Damage Enchant|
Where can I get the gear?
Necropotence: Rivenspire, Guildstore
Mender's Ward (Blackrose Resto): Blackrose Prison Arena
Perfected Concentrated Force (Asylum Frost Staff): Asylum Sanctorium
Valkyn Skoria: City of Ash II, Glirion Chest
- Northern Storm vs Permafrost: Our main ultimate is Light’s Champion, therefore I chose Northern Storm to give me an extra 8% max magicka. If you plan to mainly use the Frost Ultimate, then please use Permafrost.
- Crystallized Slab vs Shimmering Shield: The damage component of Crystallized Slab is really strong when it procs and it has unlimited range. If you prefer faster Ultimate regeneration, then I recommend using the Shimmering Shield.
|Frost Staff Mainbar||Resto Staff bar|
|Slot 1: Elemental Blockade||Slot 1: Blue Betty|
|Slot 2: Deep Fissure||Slot 2: Shimmering Shield|
|Slot 3: Force Pulse||Slot 3: Ward Ally|
|Slot 4: Fetcher Infection||Slot 4: Living Trellis|
|Slot 5: Bird of Prey||Slot 5: Ice Fortress|
|Ultimate: Permafrost||Ultimate: Light’s Champion|
- Elemental Blockade: Very strong damage over time effect, also procs your enchantment to deal additional damage, snares the enemies and can root them.
- Deep Fissure: Applies Major Breach, decreasing the enemies spell resistance by 5280 and also deals crazy undodgeable damage.
- Force Pulse: Your main damage skill, spammable triple element damage ticks.
- Fetcher Infection: Always apply this on the enemy, very strong damage over time effect.
- Bird of Prey: Passively applies 8% Minor Berserk damage buff, if you need to get speedbuff, use this ability.
- Permafrost: Snares and roots a lot of enemies and deals a lot of damage when used.
- Blue Betty: You need to get a 100% uptime on this ability, procs Necropotence and increases your sustain.
- Shimmering Shield: Huge Ultimate regen increase and also absorbs projectiles.
- Ward Ally: Your shield for defensive situations, always apply it when you swap from back bar to front bar. If needed rotate this with Living Trellis to stay alive.
- Living Trellis: This is your main heal, make sure to keep the heal over time up all the time, it only has a 10s duration so make sure to always check and reapply it. If you need a burst heal you can reapply it before it runs out.
- Ice Fortress: Must be kept up 100%, gives a ton of resistances and applies minor protection, increasing damage mitigation by 8%.
- Light’s Champion: Your defensive Ultimate, if you are in trouble or a team mate is in trouble, make sure to use this as it increases survivability by a lot.
19 Staff Expert, 20 Shattering Blows, 40 Master at Arms
32 Blessed, 49 Elemental Expert, 40 Elfborn, 50 Spell Erosion
44 Tumbling, 36 Shadow Ward
75 Arcanist, 49 Mooncalf
49 Warlord, 16 Sprinter, 1 Siphoner
23 Quick Recovery
49 Hardy, 49 Elemental Defender, 28 Thick Skinned
48 Ironclad, 52 Resistant, 21 Spell Shield
40 Master at Arms, 9 Staff Expert, 31 Shattering Blows
32 Blessed, 37 Elemental Expert, 40 Elfborn, 13 Spell Erosion
32 Tumbling, 32 Shadow Ward
75 Arcanist, 23 Mooncalf
42 Hardy, 42 Elemental Defender, 28 Thick Skinned
34 Ironclad, 45 Resistant, 9 Spell Shield
18 Master at Arms
27 Elemental Expert, 20 Elfborn, 35 Spell Erosion
64 Arcanist, 32 Tenacity
23 Hardy, 23 Elemental Defender
31 Ironclad, 23 Resistant
Important Info for Magicka Warden Build PvP Freezer
If you can, make sure to use the Clockwork Citrus Filet as it offers more and better stats.
Clockwork Citrus Filet (Max Health, Max Magicka, Magicka Recovery, Health Recovery)
Witchmother’s Potent Brew Drink (Max Health, Max Magicka, Magicka Recovery)
The Atronach (Increased Magicka Recovery)
All magicka based races work well for this setup. You can also check out my race guide for more information.
Make sure to use Tri-Stat Potions with this setup, it provides you with the resources you need.
(Health, Stamina, Magicka)
(Bugloss, Columbine, Dragonthorn)
- Animal Companion: Bond With Nature, Savage Beast, Flourish, Advanced Species
- Green Balance: Accelerated Growth, Nature's Gift, Emerald Moss, Maturation
- Winter’s Embrace: Glacial Presence, Frozen Armor, Icy Aura, Piercing Cold
- Destruction Staff: Tri Focus, Penetrating Magic, Elemental Force, Ancient Knowledge, Destruction Expert
- Restoration Staff: Essence Drain, Restoration Expert, Cycle of Life, Absorb, Restoration Master
- Light Armor: Grace, Evocation, Spell Warding, Prodigy, Concentration
- Heavy Armor: Resolve, Constitution, Juggernaut
- Medium Armor: Wind Walker, Athletics
- Fighters Guild: Banish the Wicked
- Undaunted: Undaunted Command, Undaunted Mettle
- Racial: All
- Alchemy: Medicinal Use
Make sure to not forget the Medicinal Use passive from the Alchemy Skill-tree as it is one of the most important passives and many people forget to activate it.
Combos, Defense & Healing
This build works with combos, so you need to line up your damage to successfully kill off enemies. Fetcher Infection should always be on the enemy, you can apply that when you run towards the enemy because of its long application range. Unstable Wall of Elements should also be on the ground targeted at the enemy if possible. Now the real trick, you want to make sure that Deep Fissure and Force Pulse second cast (because of Asylum Staff Concentrated Force (Perfected), or 3rd cast if you use an imperfect staff) go off at the same time, so you need to learn to line up those abilities. You can see that is what I try doing in the gameplay video.
Defense & Healing
Ice Fortress needs to be kept up at all times because it gives you a lot of spell and physical resistance on top of the 8% damage reduction from Minor Protection. Living Trellis has a 10 second duration, the main reason you will die is because you forget to rebuff myself with this healing ability after 10 seconds, it also offers a very strong burst heal when you spam it, especially in combination with Blackrose Resto staff and Ward Ally because of the huge amount of extra healing you get from Mender's Ward. Against ranged enemies be it magicka or stamina, you can keep using Crystallized Slab, this makes you basically immune to ranged attacks, it also shoots a projectile back at the enemy damaging them. In the gameplay video you can see when I go on defense on the back bar, it is very easy to keep up the buffs, heal & shield myself and not die at all.
In case that is not enough, you can always use Light's Champion for the 7 seconds 30% damage reduction through Major Protection from the Ultimate and a crazy amount of healing per second.
Another important thing, you need to learn to manage your stamina, do not block too much incoming damage, if you do not have enough stamina to break free, you will die. I recommend spamming Ward Ally in combination with Living Trellis and all the other defensive skills and try re-positioning yourself where you get less incoming damage. Also keep in mind that with the Tri-Focus passive from the Destruction Staff, if you block on your front bar you will block with magicka and not with stamina. But like I already mentioned, we only block during very high incoming damage situations.
Save your Tri-Stat Potions for when you drop either low on health or low on resources. The health boost can decide between death or life.
Build Video & Gameplay
The build video is from the Murkmire DLC and should give you a general overview about the setup. The website is always more up to date, please keep that in mind.
Battlegrounds Deathmatch gameplay with the Freezer Build streamed live on twitch.tv/alcasthq.